Griddled Halloumi & Tomato Salad with cherry Sauce
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 x 250g packs of Halloumi cheese (a traditional Cypriot cheese)
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved
- 250g pack of rocket or soft salad leaves
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 x 390g jar Bonne Maman Cherry Compote
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
First make the sauce: place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes until blended and thickened. Keep warm if serving hot. To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper together.
In a large bowl, mix together the rocket, carrot and pepper and toss in the dressing. Divide the salad mixture between six plates.
Cut each cheese into six slices, making 12 in total. Heat a griddle pan on the stove until hot and brush the cheese slices and halved tomatoes with a very little olive oil.
Place the tomato halves onto the hot griddle, cook for about 2 minutes, until singed. Turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place two halves onto each plate.
Add the Halloumi slices to the griddle pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Place two slices of Halloumi onto each tomato half and top with a spoonful of sauce and serve immediately.